Alpha Governance Partners, the only global, conflict-free, high-end fiduciary partnership providing risk-focused professional directors and advisors to boards of any financial institution investing in, allocating to, trading or overlooking complex liquid and illiquid assets. Active in 12 global jurisdictions with currently 4, soon 6 partners in Copenhagen, Geneva, London, New York (new), Singapore, Tokyo (new), Toronto (new) and Zurich
Experienced as a corporate director for operating and holding companies, and also as a fund director for offshore investment vehicles. An accomplished CEO/CIO for financial service and investment management firms. Specializing in asset allocation, multi-asset investments, and risk management. Broad knowledge of a wide range of alternative investments, as well as traditional investments. A specialist in Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) and authored several papers on the subject of risk-based governance. Extensive experience in M&As involving cross-border acquisitions and lift-outs, corporate reorganization, business development, and team building to strengthen investment capabilities and operations of a global firm.
- President and CEO (Crossgates Investment and Risk Management, New York), 2007- Founder of an investment management consulting company that specializes in quantitative investment strategies, making use f advances in asset and risk allocation modelling. The company also provides consulting to investment management companies on their global strategic initiative.
- Chief Investment Officer and Global Head (Nikko Asset Management, Tokyo and New York), 2006- Developed and expanded Nikko’s World Series Business and asset allocation funds which held the largest market share in Japan. The World Series Business generally accounted for around 50% of the new cash flow to Nikko AM.
- Chairman and CEO (Nikko Americas Holding, New York), 1999- Transformed an unprofitable brokerage operation into a specialized asset management organization. One of the operating, Nikko Securities International (NSI), managed $2 billion. NSI’s flagship fund was the largest Japan-based hedge fund at that time. Masao also acted as President and CEO of NSI, and was responsible for successful acquisitions, lift-outs and creation of numerous business partnerships for Nikko group of companies.
- PhD in International Relations (Claremont Graduate University, California), B.A. in Literature (Keio University)
- FRM, CAIA.
- Certificates in “Public Sector Management Science,” “International Political Economy.”
- Languages: English, Japanese, and Mandarin (elementary)
- Designated as Subject Matter Expert by Global Association of Risk Professional (GARP) for FRM test items creation. Member of GARP Master’s Fellowship Advisory Board.
- Recent Publications: “Alternative Alphas and Asset Allocation,” Alternative Investment Analyst Review (Spring 2019). “Applying an Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Framework to Fund Governance,” Alternative Investment Analyst Review (Summer 2017).
- Recent speaking engagement: “Investment Fund Governance: Working Toward a Global Approach to Investment Fund Governance.” Enjoys Japanese tea ceremony.